Carburetor vs Fuel Injection Engine – Advantage & Disadvantages
These days’ motorcycle engines are getting so improved in terms of power delivery and fuel efficiency. Even lower capacity motorcycle engines are also getting hi-tech technologies and features. Accordingly fuel feeding system also modernized with latest technology. Therefore carburetor and fuel injected bikes are running in parallel on the road. Hence the question comes which is better and for what? Focusing this issue here is our Carburetor VS Fuel Injection Engine – Advantage & Disadvantages. Let’s learn in brief.
Carburetor Feeding Engine
In the carburetor engine the fuel feeding of the engine done through the carburetor. The carburetor is the mechanical part that supplies the fuel though the sucked air by the combustion chamber.
Actually this process is done mechanically though how much and what speed of the air sucked trough the throttle body by the combustion chamber suction. Basically here carburetor does not deliver the fuel of its own but lets the air suck in the fuel from different channel and let them mix before the intake manifold. And yes the carburetor controls the air-fuel mixture in fixed ratio as its channels or jets are tuned.
Obviously the carburetor feeding system is technically an older mechanism. But besides the modern technologies still it has many advantages and also the disadvantages. Let’s learn those.
Advantages of Carburetor Feeding Engine
- It’s a simple and low cost fuel feeding system both for two stroke & four stroke motorcycle engine.
- Simplicity and being mechanical its maintenance and repair is possible and quite easy.
- It can be tweaked easily according to user need and environment condition.
- Being mechanical device it responds uniquely every possible position & action of throttle.
- Frequent respond against revving and over raving is very common character and advantage of a carburetor feeding system. That’s why it very widely suitable for off road and dirt bikes.
- Fuel contamination issue can be over looked in carbureted engine though it hampers the performance.
- Very much suitable fuel feeding system for low cost & low capacity motorcycle engines.
Disadvantages of Carburetor Feeding Engine
- Its fuel feeding quantity is not précised as it allows feeding flow according to the suction speed & quantity of the air by the combustion chamber.
- Fuel economy is considerably very low in carbureted engine.
- In carburetor fuel feeding system the engine cold start is a big issue.
- Lean & rich mixture often becomes hassle in carbureted engine.
- Due to inefficient combustion the emission is significantly high in carbureted engine.
- In some case engine gets vibration and spark plug fouling issue is very common.
Fuel Injected Engine
The fuel injected engine is equipped with electronically controlled fuel feeding system that is electronic fuel injection system. Here fuel feeding in the combustion chamber done by electronically controlled injectors.
Here also the air sucked through the intake manifold but fuel separately sprayed or injected though the dedicated device. It sprayed just on the manifold or in some case directly in the combustion chamber.
So the quantity of the fuel and injection timing controlled digitally through the electronic device named Electronic Control Unit or ECU. Here the ECU connected with sensors to measure engine temperature, oxygen level, air intake or throttle butterfly position etc. Though the sensors ECU get the measures and determine the quantity of fuel to spray.
So fuel injection system is an hi-tech and complex fuel feeding system. This modern technology and device literary enhanced the modern motorcycle engine capability and efficiency. Furthermore it has some awesome advantages and also have few disadvantages. Let’s take a look on those.
Advantages of Fuel Injected Engine
- Précised quantity of fuel injection and mixing of air & fuel ensures maximum possible fuel efficiency & power production.
- In fuel injected engine combustion process is significantly much more efficient. Therefore optimum power squeezed out, the fuel economy maximized and minimized the emission level.
- Modern performance motorcycles adopt fuel injection system due to its precision.
- Considering environment situation and riding condition this type of engine automatically balance the air-fuel mixture. Like the carburetor engine it needs no tweaking considering riding environment.
- Engine vibration reduced and spark plug fouling issue is minimized here.
- No cold start issue in fuel injected engine so no need for manual chocking.
Disadvantages of Fuel Injected Engine
- Fuel injection system is a complex electronic controlled device that related and connected with few electronic sensors and complex engine control unit.
- Its maintenance or repair scope is very limited and not possible in regular workshop.
- The whole system is quite expensive. Due to limited repair or maintaining opportunity in some case it need whole setup replacement.
- In fuel injected engine good quality and recommended quality of fuel needed. Contaminated fuel even can push the engine halt just on the road.
- Not suitable solution for low cost & low capacity motorcycles.
- In most of the case comparatively power delivery is linear in fuel injected engine. So unpredictable purpose bikes like dirt bikes fuel injection is too much expensive as it needs multi mapping feature in ECU.
Carburetor vs Fuel Injection Engine
Hence after learning both the advantage and disadvantages of carburetor vs fuel injection system you can see both of them have different advancement and weaknesses. But considering everything fuel injection is the best solution for most of the kind of motorcycles. Hence it’s quite expensive module and not repairable. But up on time the cost, price and maintenance will surely come in comfortable level.
Moreover this world is moving toward lower emission and better fuel economy concerns. And optimum level of power production with every drop of fuel is another significant issue for modern motorcycles. So again fuel injection system is better solution for those.
Hence no disappointment of carburetor engine bikes as those are mostly entry level & low cost motorcycles. Easy feature, easy & low cost maintenance is significant issue for those motorcycles. Moreover fuel contamination is another significant issue for those commuting machines. Hence carburetor is comparatively good option for those motorcycles.
Lastly those who are freak of unpredictable ride like off-road or dirt bike they easily can rely on carburetor engine. As above all it can respond your every unpredictable twists of throttle which is comparatively very tough to gain in linear fuel injected engines.
So readers that’s all about our today’s discussion on Carburetor vs Fuel Injection Engine – Advantage & Disadvantages. Hope you are quite clearer on our focus. Hence feel free to comment or share your findings and stay connected with us. Thanks for your nice company with us.